Buche de Noel
- confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
- Line a 10″ x 15″ inch jellyroll pan with parchment paper.
- Filling: In a large bowl, whip cream, 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa, and 1 teaspoon vanilla until thick and stiff. Refrigerate.
- Cake: In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat egg yolks with 1/2 cup sugar until thick and pale.
- Blend in 1/3 cup cocoa, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, and salt.
- In large bowl, using clean beaters, whip egg whites to soft peaks.
- Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, and beat until whites form stiff peaks. Immediately fold the yolk mixture into the whites.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Dust a clean dishtowel with confectioners’ sugar.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan, and turn the warm cake out onto the towel. Remove and discard parchment paper.
- Starting at the short edge of the cake, roll the cake up with the towel. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Unroll the cake, and spread 2/3rds of the filling to within 1 inch of the edge.
- Roll the cake up with the filling inside.
- Place seam side down onto a serving plate, cover exterior of cake with remaining filling, and refrigerate until serving. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving.