For a stew that is so plain and simple and straightforward, this is really delicious.Â I like brothy stews with loads of fresh vegetables and very litle salt or other junk, and this is perfect.Â A great meal for early spring, when you really need an injection of healthy greens and vitamins but it’s still cold enough for comfort food.Â It’s also really good for lunch the next day.
- 4 cups broth (or water, which what I usually use)
- 8 cupsÂ collardÂ greens, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups red potatoes, cut into 1/2″ slices
- 1 can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Bring broth (or water) to boil with an additional 2 cups water in a large pot.
- Add collard greens, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and potatoes, and return to a simmer.
- Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Stirr in peas and simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Season with pepper to taste, and serve immediately.
180 calories per serving.