This is my favourite muffin recipe ever; not particularly sweet, packed full of tart cranberries, pretty much perfect. Â If you’re one for the coffee-shop sugar-bomb muffin, you will not like these at all.
The original recipe as I was given it included a glaze of sugar and lemon juice that you drizzle over the muffins after they’ve baked, but I never bother because, while it’s delicious, it’s awfully messy. Â And I’m not a huge fan of sugary things.
- 2 1/2Â cups all-purpose flour
- 1Â tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2Â teaspoon salt
- 1/2Â teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4Â cups milk
- 1/3Â cup vegetable oil (I use olive)
- 1/3Â cup honey (I prefer maple syrup)
- 2Â teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2Â cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- Combine first 4 dry ingredients in a small bowl, sifting well.
- Combine egg, milk, oil honey, and lemon rind in a large bowl.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in cranberries.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin tins. Bake at 400 F for 20-25 min or until golden.