I love this Chicken and Rice Soup, which was suggested to me by a friend on Twitter after I was given a giant bag of rice last year. But the way the original recipe was formatted and written at Bon Appetit (with autoplay video links, ugh!) made me crazy. So I’ve re-written it with some small changes (I hate kale, so I sub in spinach). I find the soup base itself a nice substantial chicken soup, but the garlic oil makes it addictive, and I always double that part of the recipe, at least. The rice does sometimes break down into mush, but I don’t mind that – it just adds to the texture of the broth.
Some people describe this as an inadequate Congee, which is probably not wrong, but it’s become one of my staples – I make it every other week or so. It freezes really well, and the spicy garlic oil is delicious on other things as well!
Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1 onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 8 cups chicken stock
- ⅔ cup white rice
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 large bunch baby spinach
- 1 lemon
- 3 sprigs dill
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Make the chili-garlic oil (You may want to double this because it’s really good): Peel and thinly slice 6 garlic cloves.
- Heat ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan over medium.
- Add garlic and cook, swirling pan often, until golden brown, 3–5 minutes; the garlic will continue to cook and darken slightly after it’s off the heat.
- Transfer to a small heatproof bowl, leaving 1 tbsp garlic oil in pot.
- Stir 2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes into garlic oil in bowl; set aside.
- Make the soup: Peel and finely chop 1 small onion. Set aside.
- Add the onion to the 1 tbsp of garlic oil that remains in the in saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent and beginning to take on some color, about 5 minutes.
- Rinse ⅔ cup white rice in a fine-mesh sieve until water runs clear.
- Pour in 8 cups chicken stock and stir to combine.
- Stir in rice, 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs, and 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Simmer, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Shred meat with two forks.
- Add spinach and shredded chicken to pot.
- Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat. Squeeze in lemon juice, season with salt to taste, and stir to combine.
- Divide soup among bowls. Drizzle with reserved garlic-chile oil. Top with fresh dill and black pepper.